CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Put some Sparkle In Your Life ~ DIY Sequin Shirt

The 4th of July (also known as Independence Day) is one of my favorite holidays. I consider myself to be pretty patriotic, and the holiday is connected to so many good memories. Like most holidays, I like to go all out with the decorations, food, outfits, and accessories. This is why I took it upon myself to create my own patriotic shirt to wear when the day rolls around. Even if you don't celebrate the American Independence Day, it's still wearable for any other day of the year I think. I'm sure I'll wear mine again. You don't even have to do it exactly the way I did. This is something you can get really creative with. You can switch up the colors and patterns. I think this would look great with polka dots instead of stars! 



I first saw something similar at Victoria's Secret, only I wasn't a big fan of the style it came in. I preferred something a little bit longer with sleeves. I went out and bought a navy blue shirt, some sequins, and fabric glue. I couldn't find any bags of strictly silver sequins, but I think the mixture of gold and silver turned out alright. 


I printed off a star shape and cut it out so I could trace it with chalk onto the shirt. I used chalk because I had a dark colored shirt, but I'm sure pencil would work fine on a lighter fabric. I couldn't find any white fabric chalk in my mom's sewing room, so I used regular chalk, which she said would work just as well. After I traced all the stars where I wanted them, I started gluing on the sequins one by one. I won't lie, it took most of the day (my neck got a little sore), but I'm the type of person who can't stop a project until it's finished. And I wanted the glue to all dry at the same time so I wouldn't have to leave it out on the dining room table for days and days. I used glue that is supposed to hold even after washing, but I haven't washed mine since I put the sequins on. I would recommend washing it inside out just in case. If there is still chalk showing after you've finished, don't worry because that will wash right out. 


I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, and can't wait to show off my american pride on the 4th of July! 

P.S. I forgot to mention that I put plastic bags inside the shirt so the glue wouldn't soak through onto the back of the shirt! 

Keep Smiling, 

5 comments:

Maisie

Wow this looks awesome! That is some true dedication to a project too - I wouldn't have the patience haha xx

Christina

Thank you! I contemplated doing just a sequined pocket. That would also be really cute and would take a lot less time :D

Victoria Talia

That is so cool!! I love the way it turned out :) I can't believe it's almost 4th of July! I usually enjoy it as well but since where I live doesn't get that hot, it almost doesn't feel summer-y enough to celebrate with BBQs and swimming!

Christina

Aww thanks! Too bad it doesn't get hot enough where you live, I hope you at least get to enjoy some fireworks :)

Christina

Thanks! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Don't be afraid to leave a friendly comment as it will surely brighten my day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...